Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (topics)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 11:13:18 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> After sending the mail, I actually got an idea:
>
> 	.git/logs/attic/<timestamp>/<refname>
>
> I think this should work without problems.  In that case, git-gc also 
> handles the garbage collection.

I do not like that particular color of the bikeshed, but I'd agree that it
certainly is the easiest route from both the implementation and the design
point of view.  All of the "hard stuff" Shawn mentions goes away, and you 
are left with only one new "hard stuff", which is much easier to solve:

 - Should there be a way to really remove the archived reflog?

And my answer is "yes, a new subcommand to 'git-reflog' to list and
another subcommand to remove one".

As to default behaviour, probably we would by default archive any local
branches, and _not_ archive other things like remote trackers and tags.  A
new configuration variable reflog.archive = {none,heads,all} would be
honored and absense of it defaults to reflog.archive = heads.