Subject: Re: Interaction between clean/smudge and git status

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 00:04:35 -0700

Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sergio Callegari schrieb:
>> I have tried for the first time the .gitattributes filter option, setting a
>> clean and a smudge filter for a certain type of files.
>> 
>> What makes me wonder is that using filters, after a clean checkout git status
>> says that everything is changed.

What is to "re-zip"?  You have a .zip file that contains a single file in
your work tree, and the index and the tree objects record that single file
deflated?  When you "check out" from the index, you run smudge to create a
new .zip file with that single file?

>> Is this the expected behaviour of the smudge filter?
>
> I've observed this, too, and I don't think it is expected behavior. But it
> hasn't annoyed me enough to look at it in depth. Eventually I will, and I
> hope to find out what's wrong. ;)

Are you recreating the .zip file in the filter in such a way that a file
with the same contents results in byte-to-byte identical .zip file?
Otherwise as far as git is concerned you have changed the file in the work
tree.