Subject: Re: [PATCH] [RFC] Design for pathname encoding gitattribute [RESEND]

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:37:00 -0800

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Sam Vilain wrote:
>
>>  Documentation/gitattributes.txt |   19 +++++++++++++++++++
>
> As I said on IRC already, I don't think that this is served well as an 
> "attribute"... it is most likely that the issue either affects _all_ 
> filenames , or _none_.

I do not think .gitattributes is the way to go, but I do not
think this has to be all or nothing either.

I can well imagine somebody wanting to do:

	Documentation/ja/README-spelled-in-Japanese
	Documentation/ja/... other files in Japanese ...
	Documentation/zh/README-spelled-in-Chinese
	Documentation/zh/... other files in Chinese ...

and have all files under Documentation/ja/ in EUC-JP while
Documentation/zh/ are BIG5 or whatever (I do not speak nor write
Chinese).

Maybe the project originates from Brasil and the string
"Documentation" itself is spelled as "Documentação" and in
Latin-1 (no, I do not write pt_BR either, and I admit at this
point this is a contrived example that I cannot _that_ well
imagine, but is not so far-fetched).

So we _could_ have .git-encoding in Documentation/ja/ and
Documentation/zh/ each of which says "this directory and
everything below are in this encoding, unless overriden
otherwise by a deeper directory".