Subject: Re: [PATCH] Include rev-list options in git-log manpage.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 23:21:27 -0800

Miklos Vajna <[email-masked]> writes:

> It seems that all the git-rev-list options (--grep, --author, etc) were missing
> from the git-log manpage. This can be quite problematic if one does not know
> that git-log accepts the options of git-rev-list.
>
> So move these options to a separate file and include it from both
> git-rev-list.txt and git-log.txt.
>
> Signed-off-by: Miklos Vajna <[email-masked]>
> ---
>
> Noticed by tsuna on IRC. I hope this is okay for 1.5.4.

Have you generated documentation with and without patch and run
diff between them?

There is an obvious duplicated inclusion of pretty-options.txt[]
in git-log.{1,html}.

In addition, this part

> -Commit Formatting
> -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> -
> -Using these options, linkgit:git-rev-list[1] will act similar to the
> -more specialized family of commit log tools: linkgit:git-log[1],
> -linkgit:git-show[1], and linkgit:git-whatchanged[1]

is _clearly_ written for git-rev-list and unsuitable for any of
the commands listed above.

git-log manual page has been saying that "This manual page
describes only the most frequently used options."  I would agree
that it is a laudable goal to replace that sentence with an
included common source text, but there needs to be a bit more
careful copyediting than your a patch.