Subject: Re: [PATCH] Removed redundant static functions such as update_tracking_ref() and verify_remote_names() from builtin-send-pack.c, and made the ones in transport.c not be static so they can be used instead.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:41:54 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 04:13:14PM -0500, Andy Lester wrote:
>
>> This was what I was looking for.  I think what I'll do is fold your  
>> message into Documentation/SubmittingPatches and submit that as a patch 
>> first.
>
> That probably makes sense.
>
> I keep thinking about writing a separate "how to write a good commit
> message" document that would be more universal than just "here's how you
> submit a patch to git". And some of what I wrote to you could probably
> go in such a document. But I don't know if it makes sense to start a new
> document just with what I said there; it might be a bit sparse (OTOH,
> maybe people would then be encouraged to add their tips to it).

I'm sure our capable project secretary would come up with list of quotes
in the archive from Linus and I perhaps over the weekend in her copious
spare time ;-).