Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC3.5 05/12] send-email: Improve redability and error-handling in send_message's sendmail code

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 18:58:57 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Michael Witten <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> +
>> +		(my $pid = open my $pipe, '|-')
>> +			// die "Could not fork to run '$smtp_server': $!\n";
>
> Have I already rejected this "5.10 or later" construct in the previous
> round?  If I haven't, please consider now I have.

Sorry, I should have checked myself.  defined-or "//" is 5.8.1 or later.

Now the real question was if we still support anything older, and if so
what is the bottom version?

I certainly can go with "5.8.1 or later", but I vaguely recall during the
gitweb discussion we said anything without the utf-8 support is unusable
for gitweb, but I think we also said that the rest of the git codebase
should support running with something older (5.6.1, perhaps).

Anybody?