Subject: Re: [PATCH] Build RPMs locally unless overruled in ~/.rpmmacros

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 23:47:55 -0700

Niels Basjes <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Niels Basjes <[email-masked]>
>
> Signed-off-by: Niels Basjes <[email-masked]>

I am not opposed to have an option to build RPM binary packages in-tree,
and RPM_BUILDING might be an already accepted name for the directory (even
though it looks too loud to my eyes, you may have chosen it because it is
a common practice in the RPM land---I am not an RPM person so I wouldn't
know).

But I thought somebody already pointed out a possible regression scenario.
If one has been running 'make rpm' with RPMBUILD that invokes rpmbuild
command with a custom yet not $HOME/.rpmmacos file via --macros option, or
has been running it as a user that can write into system-wide rpm
workplaces, this patch would break such an established workflow.

Perhaps something along this line might work just as well, without
breaking things for people?

	ifdef RPM_BUILD_HERE
        RPMBUILDOPTS = --define="_topdir $(pwd)/RPM_BUILDING"
	rpmprep:
        	mkdir RPM_BUILDING
                mkdir RPM_BUILDING/BUILD
        	mkdir RPM_BUILDING/RPMS
        	mkdir RPM_BUILDING/SOURCES
        	mkdir RPM_BUILDING/SPECS
        	mkdir RPM_BUILDING/SRPMS
	else
        RPMBUILDOPTS =
        rpmprep:
		: nothing
        endif

	rpm: dist rpmprep
        	$(RPMBUILD) $(RPMBUILDOPTS) -ta $(GIT_TARNAME).tar.gz

By the way, as far as I can tell, you do not need to have SOURCES
directory in order to run "make rpm" in git.git.

> +RPMBUILDOPTS = $(shell if [ "`grep '^%_topdir' $(HOME)/.rpmmacros`" == "" ];        \
> +                       then                                                         \
> +                           mkdir -p RPM_BUILDING/{BUILD,RPMS,SOURCES,SPECS,SRPMS};  \

Not everybody runs bash.

> +                           echo '--define="_topdir `pwd`/RPM_BUILDING"' ;           \
> +                       fi                                                           \
> +                )
> +RPMBUILD = rpmbuild $(RPMBUILDOPTS)
>  TCL_PATH = tclsh
>  TCLTK_PATH = wish
>  PTHREAD_LIBS = -lpthread

You need to have "make clean" remove RPM_BUILDING.