Subject: Re: [PATCH 10/10] push: teach push to be quiet if local ref is strict subset of remote ref

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 01:29:30 -0700

Steffen Prohaska <[email-masked]> writes:

> git push now allows you pushing a couple of branches that have
> advanced, while ignoring all branches that have no local changes,
> but are lagging behind their matching remote refs. This is done
> without reporting errors.
>
> Thanks to Junio C. Hamano <[email-masked]> for suggesting to
> report in the summary that refs have been ignored.

I do not think this is a good idea at all.  Furthermore, I never
suggested anything about summary.  You are robbing the
information from the pusher which ones are pushed and which ones
are left behind.

It simply is insane to make this strange rule 10/10 introduces
the default behaviour.  It is too specific to a particular
workflow (that is, working with a shared central repository,
having many locally tracking branches that are not often used
and become stale, and working on only things to completion
between pushes).

I think we could live with an optional behaviour, in addition to
the current "matching refs" behaviour, that is "matching refs,
ignoring strict ancestors", though, but I doubt it is worth the
addition.