Subject: Re: [PATCH] bash completion: Fix the . -> .. revision range completion

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 16:25:35 -0700

Petr Baudis <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 02:38:37PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> By the way, the above command line is another "dot" related frustration I
>> always have.  If you try:
>> 
>> 	git log v1.5.6.<TAB>
>> 
>> the completion code adds a dot unconditionally when I want to choose from
>> the list of v1.5.6.X tags.  Of course, I can work this around by dropping
>> the last dot before asking for completion, so it is not really a very big
>> deal, but I mention it here because this annoyance is exactly in the same
>> league as your "git-submodule.<TAB>" example.
>
> Actually, my original solution to this problem was simply to remove the
> . -> .. completion altogether. Maybe this would still be the best course
> of action? I don't think the . -> .. is actually very useful for anyone,
> since you might as well just hit the dot another time instead of a tab.

I think that is what Shawn sent a few minutes ago, so you two are in
agreement, and I will be happy with it, too.