Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (topics)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:15:22 -0700

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:

> Kristian Høgsberg <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> 
>> A small detail I've suggested scheduling for 1.6 before is removing (or
>> rather, stop creating) the empty .git/branches directory.  How does that
>> sound?
>
> Perhaps also stop creating .git/description (remove
> 'templates/this--description' file), now that it is mentioned in
> gitweb/README and/or gitweb/INSTALL?
>
> (Do you want a patch?)

Not yet.  I would first like to see a justification that makes sense.

I do not see much connection between your mentioning the file in README
and the file's removal.  You currently say "By default it is set to ..."
and you would have to change it to "By default it does not exist so you
have to create one".  Does it have much difference?  Either way the user
needs to open the file with the editor and edit it, and the current file
at least says "Please edit me".  I am not sure if removal is an
improvement.

The sample templates/hooks--update.sample seems to check if the contents
of the description file makes sense, without even checking if it exists.
That also needs to be updated.

Actually, the sample hook should be updated independent of this issue.
I'd suggest to simply remove the check from the sample hook.  Setting
description and installing the hook is part of the initial public
repository deployment task, and once the description is set, the hook does
not have to check it over and over again.  Allowing arrival of new commits
while the description is not set won't hurt anything (somebody would
notice and tell "please set a better description" to the repository owner,
and doing so at that point will fix things without anybody having to redo
any old pushes), and forbidding push from the hook for lack of description
does not make any sense.