Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/7] add push line in git-clone

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 11:16:00 -0700

Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]> writes:

> Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>>
>>> Used together with [1/7], this change is Ok in a homogeneous environment,
>>> but it would break people who use git of different vintage on the same
>>> repository (think of a repository on a networked filesystem).  You clone
>>> like this, and older git won't grok the push configuration anymore.
>>>
>>> It may look a very minor point, but I think it deserves mentioning.
>>
>> I think it is reasonable to require cloning with the
>> least-common-denominator version in this case.  Think of what
>> happened if the pack format changed.
>
> Any news on this (and on 1/7, which is in pu)?

I did not personally find that argument convincing, and I thought list
agreed with me with silence ;-).

The pack-format change is a big deal and benefit everybody.  Comparing it
with this change feels like comparing an apple and a poppy seed, doesn't
it?