Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] git-svn format-patch

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:19:43 -0800

Daniel Barkalow <[email-masked]> writes:

> When --no-prefix is used, we should probably do:
>
> Index: <filename>
>
> instead of
>
> diff --git <filename> <filename>
>
> If nothing else, --no-prefix generates patches that git-apply can't apply 
> but thinks that it should be able to because of the "diff --git" line.

While I do not necessarily agree with that "Index: <filename>"
thing, I think dropping "--git" from there is probably a good
idea, as that is clearly not "--git" patch meant to be fed to
git-apply.

Actually I vaguely recall somebody suggested that we drop
"--git" if any nonstandard --src-prefix and --dst-prefix, but
sorry I do not recall the details (I am a bit sick today).  I
guess somehow we did not heed that wise advise and accepted the
change as-is, and that new feature ended up with a half-baked
hack that did not consider its consequences X-<.