Subject: Re: 1.7.9, libcharset missing from EXTLIBS

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:35:12 -0800

Дилян Палаузов <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> What I am wondering is there are systems that need to include the header,
>>> but locale_charset() does not live in /lib/libcharset.a, in which case we
>>> cannot make HAVE_LIBCHARSET_H imply use of -lcharset.
>
> I do not understand this.  If you want to use a function from
> libcharset, you have to use both #include <libcharset.h> and
> -lcharset.

You are mistaken.

The only constraint is that you have to "#include <libcharset.h>" and need
to link with the library that has locale_charset() defined.  Does everybody
has that function in -lcharset, or a system you do not know have it in some
other library?

For example, Msysgit part defines HAVE_LIBCHARSET_H but it apparently does
not need -lcharset. It could be that the port is incomplete, but another
possibility is that perhaps the function is in part of libc and does not
even need -lcharset passed to the linker.

If you look at our Makefile, you see "On this platform foo() can be
obtained by linking with -lfoo, but on this other platform you need to
link with -lbar" gotchas around some libraries (e.g. ssl/crypto), and I am
wondering if this function has a similar issue.