Subject: Re: [PATCH] fast-export: deal with tag objects that do not have a tagger

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:20:29 -0800

Miklos Vajna <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 08:45:44PM +0100, Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 	I think so.  The responsible code is in fast-export.c, in any 
>> 	case.  Of course, fast-import refuses to import a tag without a 
>> 	tagger, so...
>
> That's why I asked. I think it's a reasonable assumption that in most
> cases the tagger and the committer of the tagged commit is the same. So
> in case the tagger info is missing and we tag a commit, we could fake
> that info on export.
>
> Obviously this should not be the default, but I think such a mode would
> be useful in real-life.

Such a "faking" can well be done, and should be done, on the consuming end
of the information.  If you fake using the commit authorship, you would
never be able to tell from the result which one is faked and which one is
genuine.

I think you'd rather want to see "Unspecified Tagger" in the resulting tag
object (or even better, a tag object without the tagger field created by
the fast-import process), and leave the interpretation of missing tagger
information to the consumers.