Subject: Re: CRLF problems with Git on Win32

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 11:47:06 -0800

"J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 07:58:57PM +0100, Steffen Prohaska wrote:
>> ...
>> I don't think a solution will be found by declaring one platform
>> native (UNIX) and all other platform non-native.  The question to
>> answer is how to support cross-platform projects.  A valid
>> solution should never corrupt data unless the user explicitly
>> told git to do so.
>
> My only suggestion is that we consider allowing the user that
> "explicitly told git to do so" be the project maintainer.  So if you
>
> 	echo * autodetectcrlf >.gitattributes
> 	git add .gitattributes
> 	git commit
>
> then users that clone your repo will get that default without having to
> be told to do something magic on clone.
>
> (And ideally I'd've hoped you could do that using the existing crlf
> attribute rather than having to invent something new, but maybe that
> doesn't work.)

I think the project can mark text files as text with attributes
and if the port to the platform initialized core.autocrlf
appropriately for the platform everything should work as you
described. 

At least that is how I read the description of `crlf` in
gitattributes(5).