Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] list-objects: add "void *data" parameter to show functions

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 19:29:20 -0700

Christian Couder <[email-masked]> writes:

> The goal of this patch is to get rid of the "static struct rev_info
> revs" static variable in "builtin-rev-list.c".

Hmm.  If it were a more library-ish file, a removal of such a static
variable might help you to make more than one calls to a library function,
but does it matter in files like builtin-rev-list.c?  Its cmd_rev_list()
is like main() --- it is meant to run once and exit.

So if it is the only goal of this series, I am inclined to say that I do
not have a reason to look at the rest of the series, but as a side effect
does this removal make some other API better?  Perhaps a more library-ish
function is in builtin-rev-list.c and this structure should really needs
to be passed around as a parameter, but I cannot tell solely by reading
the goal above, without reading the patches themselves.

> Anyway this makes the code more clean and more generic, so it
> should be a good thing in the long run.

I wouldn't disagree with that "long run" thing, but the answer to the
above question affects the placement of this series in my prioritized
queue.