Subject: Re: [PATCH] remote: improve sorting of "configure for git push" list

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:58:26 -0700

Jay Soffian <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 4:59 AM, Jeff King <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> The data structure used to store this list is a string_list
>> of sources with the destination in the util member. The
>> current code just sorts on the source; if a single source is
>> pushed to two different destination refs at a remote, then
>> the order in which they are printed is non-deterministic.
>> ...
> Ack. There is one thing I wonder though. Is this even a sane config?

I do not think of a workflow that this feature is absolutely necessary in
the sense that it cannot be worked around if you removed it, but that is
not what you asked.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some kernel subsystem maintainers who
usually push to their master but when they push their finished goods to
their for-linus branch make sure they update their master at the same time.
Configuring their local for-linus to push to master and for-linus may be
one way to do so.

In a one-branch project with two people, it is not entirely inconceivable
to arrange for me to push to master and junio while you to push to master
and jay, in order to keep track.