Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (topics)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:16:36 -0700

Miklos Vajna <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 01:44:34PM -0700, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> >> bash: git-upload-pack: command not found
>> >> fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
>> >
>> > Hmm.  Probably the client needs to be newer, too.  This is going to be 
>> > painful.  Junio?
>> 
>> Even with maint client accessing an account with next git-shell as its
>> login shell, I do not get the above failure.
>> 
>> Is git-shell installed and configured correctly at all in Miklos's setup?
>> Why does the other side say "bash: git-upload-pack" when login shell is
>> git-shell and not bash?
>
> Sorry for the confusion, this is not about git-shell at all. I have
> bash as the shell on the server, obviously.
>
> So, in case the server runs next, the client runs master, and I try to
> clone via ssh, I get the above error.

Ah, there is not much we can do in that case then.  git-upload-pack is
what the client asks you to run, and if you do not have it in the path,
you can (1) either make sure it is on the path, (2) have the client be
more explicit when asking for git-upload-pack (--upload-pack=$where), or
(3) leave the minimum git-* binaries that can remotely be launched
directly in the usual $PATH.

It most likely makes sense to do (3) anyway.  upload-pack, receive-pack,
anything else?