Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/8] config: Cleanup config file handling.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 17:15:50 -0800

Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:

> As suggested by Johannes Schindelin.
>
> Signed-off-by: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>

Dscho won't be the only person who will read "git log" output.  What was
suggested, what convinced you it is a good idea, what goodness would this
patch add if I take it?

> -			if (git_config(show_all_config, NULL) < 0 &&
> -					file && errno)
> -				die("unable to read config file %s: %s", file,
> -				    strerror(errno));
> +			if (git_config(show_all_config, NULL) < 0)
> +				die("error processing config file(s)");
>  			return 0;

This is the only change with substance in this patch.  What difference
does it make?  Earlier we failed to say "die" with message in some
situations, and now we die when git_config() signals any error.

What are the situations in whoich the command misbehaved?  The commit log
message is where you are expected to explain that.