Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 07/15] user-manual: Mention 'git remote add' for remote branch config

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 14:09:50 -0800

"W. Trevor King" <[email-masked]> writes:

> diff --git a/Documentation/user-manual.txt b/Documentation/user-manual.txt
> index a68d6b9..424cdd6 100644
> --- a/Documentation/user-manual.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/user-manual.txt
> @@ -2909,8 +2909,23 @@ Also note that all of the above configuration can be performed by
>  directly editing the file .git/config instead of using
>  linkgit:git-config[1].
>  
> +You can produce a similar configuration with:
> +
> +-------------------------------------------------
> +$ git remote add example git://example.com/proj.git
> +-------------------------------------------------
> +
> +which adds the following stanza to `.git/config`:
> +
> +-------------------------------------------------
> +[remote "example"]
> +        url = git://example.com/proj.git
> +        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/example/*
> +-------------------------------------------------
> +

What the "config remoteexample.fetch" example before this hunk
teaches is stale and is a wrong advice these days.  I suspect that
the original was written very soon after a separate refs/remotes/
hierarchy was introduced, back when it was considered a good and
cautious practice to notice rewinds at the remote by omitting the
"+" from fetch refspecs.  I'd suggest rewriting everything after "If
there are other repositories that you also use frequently,..." of
this section.

Replace the first example after "for example, after" that uses
"config remote.example.url" with the new text in your patch, and
remove everything before "Also note that all of the above
configuration can be performed by directly editing", while keeping
examples of what various forms of "git fetch" would do with the
above configuration file, without mentioning what would happen if
you omitted "+" from them.