Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] add new Git::Repo API

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:38:43 -0700

Lea Wiemann <[email-masked]> writes:
> Here's some elaboration on why I didn't use or extend Git.pm.
>
> Please note before starting a reply to this: This is not an argument;
> I'm just explaining why I implemented it the way I did.  So please
> don't try to argue with me about what I should or should have done....
> ...
> So where do we go with Git.pm and Git::Repo?  I would suggest that
> they both stay.

This probably is something the person who mentors you as a GSoC student
should tell you, and shouldn't come from me, but I am going to mention
it anyway.

I thought GSoC program was about giving participants a chance to acquire
skills to work better with open source community, and I firmly believe
that a major component of that skillset is about working with people,
probably even more so than about working with code.  Of course you need
have a certain basic coding skills and disciplines, but it is clear to
everybody that you are beyond that threashold already.  I would have
preferred to see the first paragraph of yours stated more diplomaticly;
it sounds rather unilateral ultimatum to me.

Having said that, I agree with your reasoning.  People who care enough can
help refactoring Git.pm to build on top of Git::Repo (this would include
adding missing Git::WC and possibly others), but I agree that would
largely be outside of the scope of gitweb caching.

This patch was not signed-off, but I assume it was simply forgotten and
not deliberate?