Subject: Re: Tool renames? was Re: First stab at glossary

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 17:03:07 -0700

Horst von Brand <[email-masked]> writes:

>> 3. Non-binaries are called '*-scripts'.
>> 
>>    In earlier discussions some people seem to like the
>>    distinction between *-script and others; I did not
>>    particularly like it, but I am throwing this in for
>>    discussion.
>
> I for one think this makes the command name dependent on a non-essential
> implementation detail, so -script should go.

I had the same opinion.  The counter-argument people raised when
this topic came up on the list was that it would help grepping
in the source tree.

I'm tempted to suggest doing something along these lines:

 - Rename things that are implemented in shell from *-script to
   *.sh, and perl to *.perl in the source tree;

 - Install them without .{sh,perl} suffix.

Once this is done, the users nor the 'git' wrapper do not have
to deal with *-script.

Comments?