Subject: Re: git push default behaviour?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 08:22:12 -0800

Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I can send a message saying "[...]" to the kernel list. Anybody could,
>> for that matter.
>
> That would have been something sensible to do a few years ago, but
> today, I think we are far, far beyond the point where Git was a tool
> meant primarily for kernel hackers. I don't think considering the kernel
> community as more important than other users will help making Git easy
> to use for bare mortals.

That is *EXACTLY* the issue.

The kernel is one example community that *I* can cover, and if we
were going to continue discussion, I'm willing to help doing so
because your change will *NEVER* work unless we spread the word to
*all* the relevant communities whose members may be negatively
affected.  That is what I am saying in the part you quoted.

But I obviously *WILL* *NOT* be able to do so for *all* communities
whose members may be negatively affected.

Let me repeat the part you omitted from your quote:

  One thing I refuse to do is to fight this battle alone for "let's
  change the default" folks, especially when I am not convinced that
  it is a good change to begin with. It is "let's change the
  default" folks' responsibility to help the legwork.

Now, you have realized that the kernel community is only one of the
places where "let's change the default" folks need to spread the
word and solicit their involvement, are you willing to do your part?

People will complain only after a change hits them, and tell us "We
didn't know that you will be making this stupid change." And having
this thread here does not count as "spreading the word".