Subject: Re: auto-merge after push?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 14:30:44 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Well, I use it myself, what more can I say?

It's rather hard to justify a feature that is available to the general
public with documentation that only says "we tell you what happens in
terms of low-level commands when you use this feature, we warn you that
this has its own set of possible complications, but we do not specify what
they are, nor how to recover from them. You should know what you are doing
if you choose to use it".

That is not very helpful.

If this _were_ implemented as a sample hook on the receiving end, with
ample comments that the users can read to undersand the issues before
deciding to install it on their repositories, it might have been an easier
sell.

If Dscho is short on time, perhaps somebody else can improve upon the
documentation part of the patch?  It's a long time ago that I took a look
at the patch text itself but I had a recorrection that the code itself was
reasonable (and it is a well known fact that I tend not to notice bugs in
Dscho's code so it is not a very useful thing for me to go back to look at
the code again now when I am short on brain cycles).