Subject: Re: [PATCH] send-email: Fix Pine address book parsing

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 20:58:01 -0800

Trent Piepho <[email-masked]> writes:

> See:  http://www.washington.edu/pine/tech-notes/low-level.html
>
> Entries with a fcc or comment field after the address weren't parsed
> correctly.
>
> Continuation lines, identified by leading spaces, were also not handled.
>
> Distribution lists which had ( ) around a list of addresses did not have
> the parenthesis removed.

> +	pine => sub { my $fh = shift; my $f='\t[^\t]*';
> +	        for (my $x = ''; defined($x); $x = $_) {
> +			chomp $x;
> +		        $x .= $1 while(defined($_ = <$fh>) && /^ +(.*)$/);
> +			$x =~ /^(\S+)$f\t\(?([^\t]+?)\)?(:?$f){0,2}$/ or next;

Hmm, so you chomp each continuation line with /^ +(.*)$/ and concatenate
that to the hold buffer ($x) as long as you see continuation lines,
a non-continuation line that you read ahead is given to the next round
(the third part of for(;;) control), checked if you hit an EOF and then
chomped.  Which means the complicated regexp about the parentheses is
applied to a logical single line in $x that does not have any newline in
it, right?

I wonder what this does:

	$x .= $1 while (defined($_ = <$fh>) && /^ +(.*)$/);

when you have "a b" in $x and feed " c\n d\ne\n" to it.  When it leaves
the loop, you would have "e\n" in $_ for the next round, and "a bcd" (note
that "bcd" becomes one word) in $x, which I suspect may not be what you
want.

But I do not use Pine nor its aliases file.