Subject: Re: Git Community Book

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:09:26 -0700

Julian Phillips <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> "Scott Chacon" <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> I simply didn't want to get asciidoc working locally - it's always
>>> been a bit of a pain to compile (I've heard it referred to more than
>>> once as the only 'nightmare dependancy' in git), and I don't need to
>>> make man pages or anything, so it seemed Markdown would be a better
>>> choice for my output targets.  There are a number of good Markdown
>>> interpreters and they're easy to get running.
>>
>> I personally like markdown, but doesn't your refusal to work with existing
>> practices pose a significant problem, unless:
>> ...
>> (2) somebody tries to find markdown to manpage, and we convert
>>     Documentation/ to markdown.
> 
> Haven't used it personally, and without commenting on the "political"
> side of such an approach - there does exist at least one tool that
> claims to be able to convert from markdown to man:
> http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/

Oh, there is nothing political about this.  It is not like some of us is
employed by AsciiDoc company and defecting to markdown would cost
somebody's job or life ;-)

It is good to know that an option is availble to make it easier to go
back-and-forth, when/if it becomes necessary.