Subject: Re: [BUG] git-diff-* --color oddness

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 01:37:46 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 03:59:34AM -0500, Jeff King wrote:
>
>> OK. In that case, we need a way for the plumbing to tell the diff
>> machinery "don't ever try loading the ui config."
>
>> >  * funcname-pattern can go either way; that affects what appears
>> >    at the end of @@ context @@ lines, and would not have risk to
>> >    corrupt the patch for plumbing.
>
> I just sent a patch to put the funcname pattern in the "basic" config,
> and to get rid of the lazy config loading. So that fixes one call by the
> plumbing to read_config_if_needed.
>
> And it looks like the second call is already OK. We don't try parsing
> the config to get the external diff command unless ALLOW_EXTERNAL is
> set, which the plumbing already disallows (though I am still confused
> why it would need to be loaded lazily in the first place -- I wonder if
> read_config_if_needed is needed at all).

I think that was a premature optimization without benching.  It
is expected that most trees would not have attributes to define
custom low-level diff types, and without them we do not need to
parse the configuration to find out the external commands to be
used.