Subject: Re: [PATCH] Force new line at end of commit message

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:19:37 -0800

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

>>  		echo "# This is a combination of $COUNT commits."
>> -		sed -n "2,\$p" < "$SQUASH_MSG"
>> +		sed -e 1d -e '2,/^./{
>> +			/^$/d
>> +		}' <"$SQUASH_MSG"
>
> If I read this correctly (haven't tested), then _all_ empty lines are 
> removed from the SQUASH_MSG, right?  This is not what I want.

That is no what I wanted either.

"1d" removes the "# This is a combination of <$n> commits." from
the previous round, "2,/^./{ ... }" says apply what's in {} to
lines from second line to the first non-empty line, and what's
in {} is to remove empty ones.

> Unfortunately, I am unable to provide a proper patch with proper testing 
> right now,...

That's Ok.  Seeing what the patch already in front of you does
would be less time consuming.