Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/7] walk $PATH to generate list of commands for "help -a"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 03:07:14 -0700

Scott Parish <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 11:18:02PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> > We walk all the paths in $PATH collecting the names of "git-*"
>> > commands. To help distinguish between the main git commands
>> > and commands picked up elsewhere (probably extensions) we
>> > print them seperately. The main commands are the ones that
>> > are found in the first directory in $PATH that contains the
>> > "git" binary.
>> ...
> Its not clear to me what exactly you're looking for me to change,
> just the wording i'm using in my comment? Or are you refering to
> the approach?

"git" binary will be found as /usr/bin/git while git-foo will be
found as /usr/libexec/git/git-foo in such an installation that
takes advantage of $(gitexecdir).  And /usr/libexec/git/git will
not exist.  Using existence of /usr/bin/git (I am referring to
your 'first directory on $PATH that contains the "git" binary'
above) as the cue for the location of "main commands" is wrong.

> When i email the changes, should i keep emailing the whole
> patch series, or just the few patches that have changed?

It's up to you.  Obviously, if you are replacing 2 patches out
of 100-patch series, you would not want to resend the whole
thing, though ;-)