Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add post-merge hook.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 13:03:20 -0700

"Josh England" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 10:25 -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> "Josh England" <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> >> Two questions.
>> >> 
>> >>  * Do you want to run the post-merge hook even for a squash
>> >>    merge?
>> >
>> > Yes.  I'd like to run it at any time that the working tree might be
>> > updated.
>> 
>> If that is the case, perhaps your hook may want to get a
>> parameter to tell it what kind of "git-merge" invocation it was?
>> Squash merge does not even advance the HEAD and is of a very
>> different nature from a normal merge.
>
> OK.  Should it just pass in a flag (squash or normal), or are there
> other merge types it should need to know about.

I suspect you have thought abuot the issues involved longer than
I have ;-), so you should take whatever I say with grain of
salt, but I think you would also want to know fast-forwards and
up-to-dates if the hook wants to be generic, not "for Josh's
workflow only".