Subject: Re: [RFC] Clean way to disable pager

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 11:52:06 -0700

Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think that deserves an less-hacky, and documented way. I'd suggest a
> --no-pager, or --dont-paginate, that would do the opposite of -p as a
> global option for git.

I think that is a good thing to do.

> From 2148c2564ca6480feaec9a9d091259032257918d Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:24:36 +0200
> Subject: [PATCH] Add and document a global --no-pager option for git.
>
> To keep the change small, this is done by setting GIT_PAGER to "cat". I'd
> prefer not using global/environment variables for that, but it would
> require a complete refactoring of options handling in git.

And I do not necessarily think this GIT_PAGER thing is a bad way
to do so either.  It may end up spawning other commands (perhaps
via alias) and the use of environment is probably the way with
the least impact and complexity.

Please resend an applyable patch with a sign-off (and acked-by
as you have seen).