Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] shell: allow 'help' command to disable interactive shell

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 21:22:33 -0800

Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>>               Are you shooting for customizability?
>
> Yes, and the ability to generate the message dynamically.

Hmph, if that is the case, wouldn't it be a better direction to give
a better help for majority of the case where git-shell is used as
the login shell to allow push and fetch but not for interactive
access at all?

The first step in that direction may be to give a better canned
message, followed by a mechanism (perhaps a hook) that lets a
message customized for the site's needs, no?  Why should a site
administrator create an otherwise empty directory for each and every
user and add an executable in there that shows an error message,
only to improve the default message because it is not friendly
enough?

I may be being slower than usual, but I am still not convinced...