Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Mar 2011, #04; Wed, 23)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 00:30:32 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> [Stalled]
>
> * jh/merge-sans-branch (2011-02-10) 4 commits
>  . merge: add support for merging from upstream by default
>  - merge: introduce per-branch-configuration helper function
>  - merge: introduce setup_merge_commit helper function
>  - merge: update the usage information to be more modern
>
> There was an objection to the tip one that determines the upstream in a
> wrong way? I've been wanting to move this forward for quite some time but
> also hoping somebody else would send in a final version.

It turns out that most of the change in the series looked necessary only
because the last one tried to implement a wrong thing.  The branch.*.merge
configuration variable names the branch on the remote side to be fetched
and merged by "git pull" and its value typically is refs/heads/something,
not the name of the remote tracking branch of such a remote branch.

I ended up redoing most of it and came up with a two-patch series, which
I'll be sending out shortly.

I won't be doing the tests, though.  At least not tonight.