Subject: Re: [PATCH] Handle double slashes in make_relative_path()

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:35:27 -0800

Thomas Rast <[email-masked]> writes:

> It's not about *permitted* input; the problem is simply that the
> current function gives back *bogus* paths, which causes git to fail.
> So I only went for the minimal patch to fix this.

With that logic a minimal patch would have been not to call the function
at all, as apparently the caller seem to be able to cope with absolute
paths returned when they could be made relative, no?

In other words, it wasn't obvious to me if the minimal patch avoided
returning a bogus result claiming that is a path relative to the base
directory and instead returned an absolute path (which might be suboptimal
but way better than giving a wrong thing back) in _all_ cases, or only
just on _some_ cases but not others, and if it was the latter, what are
the cases that it did better than the original.

> As for your patch, thanks for coming up with a real fix.  I read the
> amended version, and it seems correct to me.

By "amended", I take it to mean the fix-up by Hannes.  I'll queue one
for 'maint'.

Thanks.