Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/4] Extend mailmap functionality

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 19:03:26 -0800

Marius Storm-Olsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> 2) Lets you replace both name and email of an author/committer, based
> on a name and/or email. So, should you have done commits with faulty
> address, or if an old email simply isn't valid anymore, you can add
> a mapping for that to replace it. So, the old style mapping is
>     Proper Name <[email-masked]>
>
> while this patch series adds support for
>     Proper Name <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
>     Proper Name <[email-masked]> Commit Name <[email-masked]>
>
> This extended mapping is necessary when a company wants to have their
> repositories open to the public, but needs to protect the identities
> of the developers. It enables you to only show nicks and standardized
> emails, like 'Dev123 <[email-masked]>' in the public repo, but by
> using an private mailmap file, map the name back to
> 'John Doe <[email-masked]>' inside the company.

I do not find the "necessary" argument very convincing nor I find the
particular use case sane.  You may want to do things that way, but I do
not know if it is the best way to go about it.

The new mapping however brings in more flexibility, and there may be other
use cases where people benefit from that flexibility.  I am slightly in
favor than neutral to this new feature.