Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-cvsserver runs hooks/post-receive

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 11:38:37 -0800

Michael Witten <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 30 Nov 2007, at 9:37:01 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> I'll queue your patch, but I think it should be enhanced to support
>> post-update for consistency.
>
> I'll send another patch that includes support for post-update.
>
>> I'll queue your patch,
>
> Will the old patch already be in place?

Although I would encourage total replacement patch for things not in
'next' yet, in this case, I think we both would prefer a separate patch
that builds on top of the old patch that teaches the server that it
should call post-update as well.

I think it is potentially a sensible thing to do to eventually deprecate
and then remove post-update hook (as your first patch that is queued
already suggests).  I was just saying that 'eventually' is not now.
When that time comes, if you have a separate patch to teach post-update,
that single patch can be reverted independently from the old patch,
which should be less error prone than yanking the support out by hand.