Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2009, #07; Wed, 28)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 17:31:27 -0800

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> How about installing
>
> 	[branch "master"]
> 		remote = origin
> 		merge = refs/heads/master
>
> by default?  It is a safe bet that this will be the case for 99% of all 
> users that want to clone an empty repository (especially if they are 
> putting their public repositories on something like repo.or.cz, where you 
> cannot change the default branch from "master" to something else).

I think this is a reasonable thing to do.  Even though cloning from a void
is not entirely a reasonable thing to do to begin with, because we are
going ahead to allow it now, it would be the best thing to do when cloning
a repository served by the currently deployed git.

We _could_ do better if we were to resurrect my earlier series to add
"where does the HEAD point at" protocol extension, but even then we would
need a fallback like your suggestion when talking to older servers anyway.