Subject: Re: [PATCH (update)] make: By default, remove -pthread on Darwin (it is included by cstdlib).

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:47:14 -0800

Ted Pavlic <[email-masked]> writes:

> As discussed in
>
> http://lists.apple.com/archives/Unix-porting/2005/Mar/msg00019.html
>
> the Mac OS X C standard library is always thread safe and always
> includes the pthread library. So explicitly using -pthread causes an
> 'unrecognized option' compiler warning.
>
> This patch clears PTHREAD_LIBS by default. However, if
> FORCE_DARWIN_PTHREAD_LIBS is defined, then PTHREAD_LIBS will be set as
> before.

Why is this even configurable?  You explained pretty clearly that:

 - With -pthread, you get an nasty warning;
 - By default, we now do not use -pthread;
 - By adding FORCE_DARWIN_PTHREAD_LIBS, you can still compile with
   -pthread.

But the above leaves the reader wondering in what situation it may be
useful to use FORCE_* and for what purpose other than to get the nasty
warning back (which probably is not most users want to).