Subject: Re: fatal: git grep: cannot generate relative filenames containing '..'

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 17:52:56 -0800

"George Spelvin" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Could someone fix this some day?

As far as I know you are the first to ask for this, so perhaps people never
considered this was something to "fix"....

> "git grep <pattern> ../include"
> is something I find myself wanting quite frequently, and it's a fresh
> annoyance every time I type it to discover that it still doesn't work.
>
> While you're at it, an option to search the entire git tree rather than
> the current subdirectory would also be useful.  I was thinking about
> a flag like -r (for "root"),...

... but

    $ grep -r foo ..

will look for foo anywhere below one level up from your current directory,
and I think it may be a reasonable enhancement to teach:

    $ git grep foo ..

to do the same.  Patches welcome ;-).

By the way, congratulations for getting a name.  Can we fix one entry in
our .mailmap file?