Subject: Re: git-patches list?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:54:22 -0800

Akira Kitada <[email-masked]> writes:

> Can I propose having another mailing list for posting patches to avoid
> daily mail flood to this list?
>
> Yes, I can filter out the emails but still...

This list has always been the only place where git development happens.
It would make the development very awkward to set up another list only for
patches, forbid patches to be sent to anywhere but that new list, but
still discuss the patches on this list.

It does not make much sense to me.

Consider what you would do when you see a problem somebody is having on
this list, and wanted to respond with a quick "this may fix it" patch?
Should you be sending that to the patches list, and sending a separate
message to this list saying that you have a potential fix in mind you
would want to discuss here, but the patches list rule mandated that you
had to send the patch to the other list, asking people who are reading
this list to look at the other list as well?

And no, having a separate "user list" won't solve the above problem either
and that is not what I am suggesting.

Not that I am seeing any problem right now; I am saying that the split
list as you suggest _will_ create problems.