Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] gitweb: allow access to forks with strict_export

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:31:08 -0800

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:

> Matt McCutchen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> CC-ed Petr Baudis, author of forks support in gitweb.
>
>> git_get_projects_list excludes forks in order to unclutter the main
>> project list, but this caused the strict_export check, which also relies
>> on git_get_project_list, to incorrectly fail for forks.  This patch adds
>> an argument so git_get_projects_list knows when it is being called for a
>> strict_export check (as opposed to a user-visible project list) and
>> doesn't exclude the forks.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Matt McCutchen <[email-masked]>
>
> Looks good for me.

That sounds like a broken API to me.

At least, please have the decency to not call the extra parameter "for
strict export".  I would understand it if the extra parameter is called
"toplevel_only" (or its negation, "include_forks").

IOW, don't name a parameter after the name of one caller that happens to
want an unspecified special semantics, without saying what that special
semantics is.  Instead, name it after the special semantics that the
argument triggers.