Subject: Re: [PATCH] parse-opt: migrate builtin-checkout-index.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 14:45:28 -0700

Miklos Vajna <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > +   if (argc && read_from_stdin)
>> > +           die("--stdin must be at the end");
>>
>> Is this comment still correct?  Do the original and your version act
>> the
>> same way when the user says "checkout --stdin -f", for example?  I
>> suspect
>> the original refused it and yours take it (and do much more sensible
>> thing), which would be an improvement, but then the error message
>> should
>> be reworded perhaps?
>
> Unless I missed something, that was a limitation of the option parser.
> checkout-index --stdin -f works fine for me after removing those two
> lines, so I left them out from the updated patch.

Thanks.  I think you got what I meant and dropping the part is right.

"--stdin -f" was rejected by the original code, and you improved to take
it with the new parser.  In fact, the above quoted if() statement should
not trigger when "--stdin -f" is given, due to the way the new option
parser is structured.  The original had an explicit "break" in the loop
when it saw "--stdin".  The above would still trigger if "--stdin foo" is
given, but there is a code to catch that already, so it is not necessary.