Subject: Re: Increased maintainer work during Summer of Code

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:52:37 -0700

"Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio, I know you have been working extra hard lately with the
> merge of builtin merge, and now gitweb and the sequencer are also
> being looked at in much greater detail.

I do not currently perceive much problem.  If they are being looked at in
much greater detail, that is good.

> What can we do to smooth out this workload better?  Its awesome
> that we were so fortunate to get these great students this year,
> and have so much contributed in so little time, but we also do
> not want to see maintainer burn-out.  We also want to avoid a
> huge backlog of patches.

For GSoC participants, it might be of utmost importance that their patches
are looked at, reviewed and integrated.  To me, there is no reason to give
any preferential treatment for GSoC students.  Students may need to learn
how to cope with busy, overloaded, and/or grumpy maintainer. It is a
necessary skill to work effectively in an open source project they need to
acquire.

When there are more urgent issues than their projects, patches from GSoC
students may drop through the crack in the floor just like any other
submitters', and more importantly, the urgency is determined solely by
judging how important the issue is for git.git project, not GSoC.  Usually
when patches are dropped, its the original submitters job to remind,
resend, or make it easier for the maintainer to take any corrective
measure (e.g. host her own tree to be pulled from) --- GSoC students
should learn to do the same, and their mentors would help them with this.

The community has matured to the point that there are a few areas with
trustworthy area experts, and I do not have to look at certain patches
very deeply myself.  To name only a few, I just apply patches to git-svn
that are either from Eric or acked by him without looking at them (I may
spot obvious typos by accident and fix them up, though); patches to
"archive" from René are the same way.

People can help widen areas that are covered like so.  I admit that I am
hesitant to let go of certain areas, e.g. sha1_file.c layer, even though I
know Nico and you are as competent and knowledgeable in that area as I am
if not more, simply because such a very core part of the system really
matters.  I expect there will always be areas in which I have to look at
all changes for my own peace of mind, but even in these areas I do not
have to be the only person to look at and review the patches.