Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (topics)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 13:57:02 -0700

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> * jc/stash-create (Mon Jul 9 00:51:23 2007 -0700) 2 commits
>>  + rebase: allow starting from a dirty tree.
>>  + stash: implement "stash create"
>> 
>> Will revert at least the latter one, but perhaps both, from
>> 'next'.  The traditional behaviour of refusing to work in a
>> dirty tree is much safer, as the tool cannot decide where to
>> unstash for you.
>
> One of frequently requested features is ability to rebase and merge
> in a dirty tree (CVS-like). Perhaps we should advocate git-stash better,
> e.g. in error message for git-rebase / git-merge / git-pull when in dirty
> state.

I am of two minds about that.  Suggesting to "stash first, do
your thing and unstash" certainly is helpful than not
suggesting.  But wanting to do things in a dirty state, only
because CVS did not allow you to do anything else, is a bad
inertia on the user's side in the first place, and that
helpfulness would actively _encourage_ to keep that bad inertia,
instead of educating the users to think in git-way.