Subject: Re: A tour of git: the basics (and notes on some unfriendly messages)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 03:17:25 -0700

Steffen Prohaska <[email-masked]> writes:

> ... If everything's ok I do.
>
>    git checkout master
>    git merge for/master
>    git push
>
> The last merge must be a fast forward.

Last week I saw somebody (I think it was Shawn) mentioned a
trick:

	git push . thisbranch:thatbranch

will moves thatbranch to thisbranch iff thisbranch is a
descendant of thatbranch.  So doing

	git push . for-master:master

instead of that checkout + merge command sequence would
obviously be a good solution for your particular use case.

Having said that it may make sense to swap the order so that the
diffstat is shown first and then a single line "Merge made by
recursive" or "Updatting A..B, Fast Forward" concludes the
report.  At least, I do not think such a swapping would hurt the
usability, although people used to the UI may first feel uneasy.
I would not object to such a patch in principle.