Subject: Re: [PATCH] upload-pack: squelch progress indicator if client does not request sideband

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:57:49 -0700

Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Dienstag, 16. Juni 2009, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> ...
>> I don't think it is worth it at all.  The regression is purely cosmetic,
>> and I suspect you'll have a really hard time finding someone still using
>> those ancient git clients anyway.  Remember that such clients are unable
>> to fetch with HTTP from repositories using version 2 of the pack index
>> by default already.  That's why we created version 1.4.4.5.
>
> Keep in mind that there could exist clients outside git.git that use modern
> pack-index or unpack-objects, but omit sideband support.
>
> I propose this patch instead, although the assumption that the --timeout
> option is only used by git-daemon may not be quite right. In this case it
> may be better to add a new option that sets the new flag and that
> git-daemon has to use.

Even though I tend to agree with Nico, this patch strikes a good balance
with a very small impact.  I am beginning to like it.

There _could_ be people who run fetch over git/ssh with custom --exec
option that has --timeout in it.  We _could_ teach --run-by-daemon option
to the (daemon, upload-pack) pair in the same release (because it is
reasonable to assume they come from the same vintage of git) to fix that
case.  But I do not think it is worth it.  As Nico says, this is purely
cosmetic.

Thanks.