Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] add '%d' pretty format specifier to show decoration

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 13:59:17 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 01:10:12PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> I agree with the above reasoning.  If we go with surrounding parentheses,
>> it might even make sense to include a SP _before_ the opening parenthesis,
>> so that "%h %s%d" expands to either of these:
>> 
>>    $ git show -s --pretty=format:'%h %s%d' v1.6.0^0 v1.6.0^1
>>    ea02eef GIT 1.6.0 (refs/tags/v1.6.0)
>>    373a273 Merge git-gui 0.11.0
>
> Isn't that what you argued against in Dscho's version of the patch?
>
>     http://mid.gmane.org/[email-masked]

Yeah, but unlike Linus, I am not infallible.  Also, I can change my mind.

If the concensus is that we do the simpler variant _now_ and leave
extending it for later, I think it is Ok to pick any one reasonable
default/simple format, and including the parentheses (with leading SP)
would be one reasonable default, certainly more reasonable than not
including the parentheses at all.

The background is somewhat different, too.

Back then I didn't think anybody but Dscho was interested in including
decorate in --pretty=format in half-baked form.  René is comment was to do
more flexible but complex variant.  I didn't see many people wanted to
have it in "limited but usable for simpler needs" form.

It wasn't that urgent, as opposed to this round more people seem to be
interested in having it even in a limited form.  And I knew Dscho was very
much capable of doing the "going whole nine yards" version, instead of a
simple-limited one.  "If we can afford to spend time to get it right in
the first round why not?" was part of the reasons behind my objection.