Subject: Re: [PATCH] bash completion: Fix the . -> .. revision range completion

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:38:37 -0700

Petr Baudis <[email-masked]> writes:

> When Git sees a string with trailing dot on a place where revision
> range could occur, it will unconditionally append another dot to
> it to help complete a revision range. However, filespec can usually
> occur at such a place as well. I have been hitting this all the time
> lately with
>
> 	git log git-submodule.<tab>
>
> and the like.

Modulo s/Git/bash-completion/ ;-) I think this makes sense.

> This patch will make Git perform the . -> .. completion in
> __git_complete_revlist only if there is no filename starting with
> the entered prefix available.  At few places, filename could not occur
> when calling __git_complete_revlist; however, taking this into account
> did not seem worth complicating the code further.

Theoretically we could take a hint from presense of '--' like d773c63
(bash: offer only paths after '--', 2008-07-08) did.  If the command line
has double-dash and the token we are looking at is before it, it cannot be
pathname and this check does not have to trigger.  But I agree that is not
worth it, because this "theoretical" solution would mean that the user
needs to something awkward like:

	git log v1.5.6. --<C-b><C-b><C-b><TAB>

to take advantage of it.

By the way, the above command line is another "dot" related frustration I
always have.  If you try:

	git log v1.5.6.<TAB>

the completion code adds a dot unconditionally when I want to choose from
the list of v1.5.6.X tags.  Of course, I can work this around by dropping
the last dot before asking for completion, so it is not really a very big
deal, but I mention it here because this annoyance is exactly in the same
league as your "git-submodule.<TAB>" example.

"git show v1.5.6.<TAB>" does complete as expected, which is understandable
(the command does not take range, and completion knows about it -- which
is quite nice).

>  contrib/completion/git-completion.bash |    7 ++++++-
>  1 files changed, 6 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)
>
> diff --git a/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash b/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash
> index 61581fe..fe24b8c 100755
> --- a/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash
> +++ b/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash
> @@ -325,7 +325,12 @@ __git_complete_revlist ()
>  		__gitcomp "$(__git_refs)" "$pfx" "$cur"
>  		;;
>  	*.)
> -		__gitcomp "$cur."
> +		if ls "$cur"* >/dev/null 2>&1; then

There is a slight Yuck factor for using "ls" here but I do not think of a
better alternative offhand.

Will queue on top of Shawn's previous one.  Thanks.