Subject: Re: [PATCH 02/12] Do not complain about "no common commits" in an empty repo

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 01:58:00 -0700

Steffen Prohaska <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
>
> If the repo is empty, we know that already, thank you very much.
> So shut fetch-pack up about that case.

Two complaints.

 * What does this have to do with Windows port?  Please don't hide a
   general interface change in a larger and mostly unrelated topic.

 * Do you think people can tell without reading the code in larger context
   outside the patch and this commit log text if you are talking about the
   case you fetch _into_ an empty repository, or if you are attempting to
   fetch _from_ an empty repository, or what?  Please try to be a bit
   easier for _readers_.  Being more redundant and verbose is better than
   being too concise.

About the first point, "no common commits" is just a friendly reminder and
not even an error.  When you see it, you will learn to expect looooooooong
download session.

I personally happen to agree with the logic of this patch, though --- if
you are fetching into an empty repository, you would already expect that
the download is as big as the other end anyway, so you would not need to
be further reminded about that.

But that is just one-man's opinion.  Maybe somebody knows a reason why I
am (and the logic I am agreeing with is) wrong.  Maybe not.  So make the
"remainder of Windows port" series 11 commits, and send this as a general
interface fix via the normal channel to be discussed, please.