Subject: Re: [PATCH] Make default expiration period of reflog used for stash infinite

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 00:28:06 -0700

Olivier Marin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano a écrit :
>> This makes the default expiration period for the reflog that implements
>> stash infinite.
>
> I did not read the whole thread so maybe I missed something but I though you
> wanted to apply Nanako's patch before?
>
> The patch: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/85055

Thanks for reminding, but I am of two minds about the change.

 (1) The change would untie the base tree of the stash from the history
     behind it and allow previously rewound tips of branches that these
     stashes were built on top of.  Without the patch, these otherwise
     unreachable commits will never be reclaimed.

 (2) Today, you can say "git log stash" (note the lack of "-g" option) to
     view the history behind the stash through two artificial commits that
     stash creates.  This will become impossible with the patch.

Probably I am worrying too much; I do not personally think the second
point matters in the real life.  If "git log stash" _were_ any useful,
it means the history behind the stash entries are not useless at all, but
in that case the user would be using regular branches to store them
anyway.